Saturday, July 18, 2009

RE:

I don't have time to type a nice blog, but I was thinking about copy-cpasting you an email between Kathy Cook (lady from my church who helped me get here) and I that might share some new information and allow for a little update in regards to some other missionary friends (Morgan Smith, Spencer Brady, and Rachel Cook) out and about around the world.

Also, Caroline Franks (shout out!!) sent me a wonderful massage with some fantastic questions. That girl is a good, observant reader! So, I'll definitely update my next blog with those. And I miss you very much too Caroline, everyone in fact.

The email...

From: Kathy Cook
To: josh rogers
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:58:57 PMSubject: RE:


Hurrah! It is soooooooooooo good to hear from you! I miss our chats. I don't have questions right now, since I am in Nica and we are about to do a cookout for the staff, but I wanted to send you a quick hi. We are having a magnificent trip! It is so good that we came for two weeks this year. It is so much better -- we actually are building relationships in the community, since we go back and forth.
We also have loved absorbing Morgan and Spencer, since they ended their summer with us on this trip. They go home when we go on Friday. They also have loved their summer. They taught in the public schools at least three days a week all summer and reall grew in all kinds of ways.

I just finished skyping Rachel in Ghana. Life is quite wonderful. She spent the last two weeks at an orphanage in the northern most part of the country, and it has been her favorite part of the summer. She mostly just played with kids all day every day, and she said they (and she) loved it. She said the living conditions are horrendous, and she wishes she could spend much more time there. She has been the preacher for three church services so far this summer. It's getting easier:)
How are you doing? How's your health? How's your heart? How's your soul?
love, me
Kathy
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13




From: Josh ROgers
To: Kathy Cook

That's great to hear everyone elses summer's have gone so well. I have prayed for them, probably not as much as I should have though. It would be nice to hear about everyone's time when I get back. I suppose everyone else is going to be getting back soon, Spencer and Morgan already and Rachel about a week left.
Though, I fear if we got together and shared I'd be filled with such critisism and negetivity about my own experiences I'd just keep my mouth shut.I just preached to a bunch of children yesterday in chapel. The adults loved it. I don't know how the kids felt cause they want to do is run outside and play. But I've had 4 lecturing/preaching opportuinities so far and I'm planned to preach 3 more times, twice to a congregation, and I actually got offered another one by the head pastor of a church I was at today, but I don't know if I can till I talk to Jerry.

I think I made quite an impression to the people at this leadership workshop Iwas at today, because after a lecturer went he had questions/comment time and I basically raised my hand, stood up, and flat out disagreed with something he said and then went about 'preaching' for 10 minutes spur of the moment. But I had to. He was flat out ignoring the truth Jesus set forth. It basically had to do with lust/sex before marriage and them just giving up and saying, 'well that's our culture.' PSH! I'd like to think what Jesus said transcended cultures and it was just sad to see them give up like that and water down God's message. Anyways, Don't worry I got some "AMENs," so I didn't get chased out the church with torches behind me. Also, the guy I came Assoc. Director guy I came with told me that was a good way of putting it, many Liberian have given up so to speak. I'm totally being vague about what the issue was, but I don't have time to fully explain. Just trust me.

I too have been spending time at the orpghange just playing. I've learned so many cool games. Though I have offered to help cook or clean, anything really, and I think they are going to take up my offer. The living conditions are also awful, but it's not the places fault, just lack of funds/support.
I'm jealous of Morgan and Spencer, I wish I had a team of loved ones coming to meet me here and carry me home.

Health good.
Heart not broken enough.
Soul tired.

I've said too much.

- Josh


-- Uncle Joshua

2 comments:

  1. I've been brainstorming ways to air mail you a cheeseburger, and have yet to think of something plausible....
    Perhaps I'll just make you one when you come back to Athens?
    Miss you tons.
    Caroline.

    PS. Thanks for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry I don't think I'll get a chance to update my blog with answers to your questions, but I'll be sure to answer them in person.

    ReplyDelete